Don't want to type your concern or question, talk to a patient survivor on the phone! HOPEline 800-579-1970
October 23, 2014, 12:52:13 AM PDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Save the Date - 2014 Poker Tournament!
RSN's 5th Annual "Beat The Odds" Celebrity Charity Texas Hold-Em Poker Tournament. Saturday, November 8th, 2014 at the Glendale Civic Auditorium.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register RSN Home The HOPEline RSNhope store  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A question about something called a CRIT-line ?  (Read 4789 times)
Chatty
« on: August 30, 2007, 06:33:20 PM PDT »

Hi everyone...

Lately I have been having difficulty with high arterial pressures during Tx, fluid management and high bp otherwise.  I have heard something about a CRIT-line that might help monitor this ?  Can anyone share any info about it ?   I'd be very grateful...  Thank you...

View Profile Logged

Chatty Wink
coping
Coping in Canada
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 07:37:16 PM PDT »

I don't know anything about this since my dialysis unit doesn't use it but I have heard about it through many kidney forums. Seems only some brands of Hemo Dialysis machines use it. I think I heard that Fresenius uses it. Probably NxStage as well but I am not sure. I would like to hear more about it as well!

This is what I found on it:

Crit-Line III is a fluid management and access monitoring tool incorporating the latest photo-optical technology to non-invasively measure absolute hematocrit, percent blood volume change, continuous oxygen saturation and access recirculation. The addition of TQA (transcutaneous) Access Blood Flow capability to the Crit-Line III provides the hemodialysis clinician with a state-of-the-art access management tool. Fluid management using hematocrit-based blood volume monitoring has been shown to be effective in optimizing dry weights, reducing hospitalizations, minimizing hypovolemic symptoms. Crit-Line simply provides the optimal patient care.

A disposable cuvette connected to the arterial side of the dialyzer and in-line with the blood tubing set allows the Crit-Line to non-invasively monitor whole blood parameters. Patented optical technology shines near-infrared light through the blood, specifically measuring the scattering and absorption characteristics of the red blood cell. The proprietary ratio metric formula provides real-time hematocrit and oxygen saturation.

LINK*

Is that the same as Access Flow that is done every other month on the Fresenius 2008K machines in clinic?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 07:41:46 PM PDT by coping »

View Profile Logged

Coping in Canada

Our happiness is not determined by our situations, but by our personal perceptions of these situations.

All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand aside.

"Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all." - William Goldman
jolie3
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 07:49:04 PM PDT »

That is pretty cool!!  I can't wait to ask my dialysis unit about it!!

View Profile Logged
getlife
Thank you to my donor family for the 'Gift of Life' !
So Thankful!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 09:35:13 PM PDT »

Yes, I have heard of crit-line, I think Ozfan might be 'detailed' help on this one.  I have talked to the rep for the crit-line in my state, but my dialysis unit won't accept or try it.

View Profile Logged

Live! Like there's tomorrow! 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K8-9mXjU8o

CKD 40 Years!

Update!  Had my transplant on June 22, 2011!
Woohoo! A sincere thank you to my donor family.

2 previous transplants, latter lasting 18 years.
Returned to hemodialysis 1999. 
Now transplanted!
coping
Coping in Canada
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 03:42:57 PM PDT »

I seriously wish more would (including mine) as I have heard a lot about it on forums! Like I heard it is a good reliable way to determine target dry weight goals. But that is all I knew about it til this thread! Thanks for this! Smiley My unit just determines dry weight targets by if we cramp and our BP drops then it is time for adjustment Sad

View Profile Logged

Coping in Canada

Our happiness is not determined by our situations, but by our personal perceptions of these situations.

KevN
LIVESTRONG
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 11:17:22 PM PDT »

I don't know anything about this since my dialysis unit doesn't use it but I have heard about it through many kidney forums. Seems only some brands of Hemo Dialysis machines use it. I think I heard that Fresenius uses it. Probably NxStage as well but I am not sure. I would like to hear more about it as well!

This is what I found on it:

Crit-Line III is a fluid management and access monitoring tool incorporating the latest photo-optical technology to non-invasively measure absolute hematocrit, percent blood volume change, continuous oxygen saturation and access recirculation. The addition of TQA (transcutaneous) Access Blood Flow capability to the Crit-Line III provides the hemodialysis clinician with a state-of-the-art access management tool. Fluid management using hematocrit-based blood volume monitoring has been shown to be effective in optimizing dry weights, reducing hospitalizations, minimizing hypovolemic symptoms. Crit-Line simply provides the optimal patient care.

A disposable cuvette connected to the arterial side of the dialyzer and in-line with the blood tubing set allows the Crit-Line to non-invasively monitor whole blood parameters. Patented optical technology shines near-infrared light through the blood, specifically measuring the scattering and absorption characteristics of the red blood cell. The proprietary ratio metric formula provides real-time hematocrit and oxygen saturation.

LINK*

Is that the same as Access Flow that is done every other month on the Fresenius 2008K machines in clinic?

I know that if we are put on oxygen assistance during crit-line monitoring, our numbers look better as well.  It was recommended.  I've been on it 4-5 times.  Unexpected for me, but a very cool thing indeed.

View Profile WWW Logged

It's not about the establishments.. it's about understanding 360 degrees of who you are, taking the knowledge of self, and manifesting that into who you want to be.
Mishy89
Be FIERCE!.. WORKK ITT!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 01:42:16 PM PDT »

Yes, I have heard of crit-line, I think Ozfan might be 'detailed' help on this one.  I have talked to the rep for the crit-line in my state, but my dialysis unit won't accept or try it.

My dad has worn my dialysis unit down on this subject! lol When I was in rehab after getting compartment syndrome They used crit-lines..it was great I didnt even get sick! But my dialysis said "no" they dont like it..I dont know why though...

View Profile WWW Logged

I'm just a nice tattooed,pierced,total liberal jewish girl... Smiley

The Dialysis just ADDS more shexy...

.. And yes I am a freak, freakishly awesome!
coping
Coping in Canada
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 09:49:40 PM PDT »

Wish I knew why ... they seem like the nurses would LOVE them ...

View Profile Logged

Coping in Canada

OZfan
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 10:59:52 PM PDT »

Crit-Line is a valuable tool to use when you are on hemodialysis.  It measures HCT non-invasively.  The two reasons why I don't think clinics use it is the Cost or the clinicians do not understand how to interpret the technology.  The machine is about 3,000 and the little disposable blood chamber is about $2.00. You need a new blood chamber every treatment.   Adding a couple dollars to a dialysis treatment when the reimbursemnt is fixed is not always attractive to a dialysis provider.     

Last december I spoke to the CMS Medical Director reimbursing for it.  I am still advocating for it on a National Level.  Please e-mail me any letters or thoughts on this machine. 

A few years back I wrote an educatioanl booklet about the Crit-Line.     
http://www.crit-line.com/Patient_Booklet.pdf

Blood Volume Monitoring should be a standard of care.  It is a window into your intravascular structure to see how fast the fluid is being removed.  It can help let you know if you are at a correct dry weight. The number one reason people on dialysis die is because of heart disease.  Fluif overload causes high blood pressure and is very hard on your heart. 

A doctor in Thousand Oaks (Dr. Kant Tucker) bought Crit-Lines for all of his eleven facilites.  One on every chair. 
The Crit-Line is used throughout the Country, although it is very sporadic.

Most pediaric facilites use it. The machine needs reimbursemnt to have wide acceptance.  Patients and family memers need to keep demanding it. 

View Profile Logged
jolie3
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 08:53:33 PM PDT »

I have never even heard of it.  I am going to have to ask about it.  Being little, its always a problem getting off the weight.  My dialysis unit gives back 500ccs of fluid to give you back all the blood.  I find that annoying!  In order to get off the machine at your dry weight you have to be 1lbs. under weight!!  Makes the last hour really hard!

View Profile Logged
getlife
Thank you to my donor family for the 'Gift of Life' !
So Thankful!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 12:36:14 PM PDT »

Jolie3,
What do they add in for prime and rinse?  They had to change my prime and rinse to 200cc because I have a tendency to pull more fluid off than set during treatment?

View Profile Logged

Live! Like there's tomorrow! 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K8-9mXjU8o

CKD 40 Years!

Update!  Had my transplant on June 22, 2011!
Woohoo! A sincere thank you to my donor family.

2 previous transplants, latter lasting 18 years.
Returned to hemodialysis 1999. 
Now transplanted!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: