Don't want to type your concern or question, talk to a patient survivor on the phone! HOPEline 800-579-1970
October 22, 2014, 04:00:43 PM PDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: KidneySpace members please only share your experience, strength and hope with each other. We do not give advice. Always consult with a healthcare professional before making any changes to your medical regimen.    

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register RSN Home The HOPEline RSNhope store  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help understanding meaning of lab results  (Read 9089 times)
DaveB
« on: June 23, 2010, 04:01:26 PM PDT »

Hi Everyone,

48 years old. Type 2 diabetes for 1 year.

I had a basic metabolic panel come back with:

MINE | STANDARD RANGE
BUN 28 | 7 - 25 mg/dL
CREATININE 1.35 | 0.50 - 1.30 mg/dL
BUN/CREAT RATIO 21 | 10 - 20
GFR 56 | > 60 - ml/min/1.73m2

My creatinine at 1.35 is elevated and GFR 56 says stage 3 kidney disease.

Yesterday, I had a single urine sample test done which showed:

MINE | STANDARD RANGE
ALB RAND URINE < 5.0 | mg/L
CREATININE,URINE 1.75 | Undefined - g/L
MICROALBUMIN,RAND UR < 2.9 | < 30.0 - mg/g creat

No infection and protein within normal limits.

I have an appointment in July with a Nephrologist. In the mean time, I'm hoping you can help with some questions.

Does the elevated Creatinine but normal protein levels mean I may not have kidney disease? As far as I can tell, MICROALBUMIN,RAND UR < 2.9 should be a good thing, correct? If mine is 2.9 or less and anything under 30.0 is good, that should be a good sign unless I'm misunderstanding the results?

View Profile Logged
getlife
Thank you to my donor family for the 'Gift of Life' !
So Thankful!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 04:43:57 PM PDT »

Dave,

Welcome to kidneyspace.  I know it can get confusing.  Just questioning...are you drinking a lot of water to flush out your system?  How are your blood sugars?

I think what is important is that you are following up with a nephrologist.  Some don't know to do that.
Glomerular filtration rate (GFR) is the best overall index of kidney function. That is based on your plasma creatinine level, age, male or female, and race.

You are not spilling protein in your urine.  I am not a doctor, I am just another patient. Be sure to write down your questions for your nephrologist visit.

I know this is not a direct answer to your question.  It's usually based on GFR...but your nephrologist, will have the direct answers for you.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 09:35:03 AM PDT by getlife »

View Profile Logged

Live! Like there's tomorrow! 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K8-9mXjU8o

CKD 40 Years!

Update!  Had my transplant on June 22, 2011!
Woohoo! A sincere thank you to my donor family.

2 previous transplants, latter lasting 18 years.
Returned to hemodialysis 1999. 
Now transplanted!
DaveB
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 05:55:24 PM PDT »

getLife,

Thanks for the reply.

My fasting blood sugar is usually about 110 - 115.   Blood sugar 1 hour after a meal runs 120 - 140.  I've lost 22 pounds in the last month.  I'm pretty confident that when I get more weight off my blood sugar will come down even more.  I'm not worried about the diabetes.  I'm committed and I know that I can beat it through diet, exercise and weight loss.  The kidneys are another matter.

Yes, I'm drinking a lot of water now.  But up until a month ago, I drank a lot of coffee and very little water.  Tomorrow I go in for another A1C test.  We'll see if the changes in the last month had any affect.

View Profile Logged
BJ275
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 08:35:26 PM PDT »

I have no idea about the urine labs, but the metabolic panel suggests, with both BUN and creatinine elevated, and a GFR of under 60, that a follow-up with a nephrologist would be a good thing - he or she can tell you what the results indicate.  I was way past those amounts when I first saw a nephrologist but I was told previously there was nothing I could do to slow the progression of my genetic disease, when in fact, indeed there were things I could have done, had I known, that would have helped.  Getlife is right, make a list of questions you need answered and tell them you have a list or show it to them at the beginning of the appointment. You'll get some idea of how well you'll be able to work with your doctor  - you are a very important member of your health care team. 
Hope it goes well for you!
Keep in touch! 

View Profile Logged

Polycystic Kidney Disease
Blessed with a transplant May 2010
old_fool
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 09:00:52 PM PDT »

Welcome indeed!

Glad you are asking questions.  That is a good adjustment to the unknown.

I never pay much attention to stage 2, stage 3, etc.  These are general terms that don't really define where you are or what to expect.  Do pay attention to the labs.  And ask your doctor the cause of your kidney decline.  If they can identify it, you will have some idea of what to expect.  Everyone's experience is their own but there are some similarities based on what is causing the decline.

Depending on the cause for your kidney issues, there may be things you can do to decrease how fast things progress...or not. 

If you are significantly overweight, you are definitely doing the right thing by trimming your weight.

Anything you can do to take care of your heart is good.  Kidney disease and cardiac health are so related.  I was in great health with less kidney function than you for years.  But I also had the time and energy to do lots of aerobic exercise and cook at home most of the time.    These are both really helpful.  For diet, the National Kidney Foundation and DaVita have good diet ideas.  the closer you can get to these diet guides, the better off you are overall.

I had issues with high potassium and acidosis i.e. my blood was too alkaline.  These can be addressed partially with diet as well as with meds if severe.

Stay plugged in here...there is alot of good ideas here although we are not doctors. 

Cheers,
~fool

View Profile WWW Logged

~old fool
zero mismatch transplant Jan 2010
DaveB
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 06:58:56 AM PDT »

Whoohoo!  I'm dancing in the streets, here.  I went in for blood work yesterday.  In the week between my first lab and yesterday's lab my creatinine came down from 1.35 to 1.12 which gave me a GFR that went from 56 to something over 60.  They just show > 60 on the lab results.  I ran the calculator at kidney.org and my GFR would be 85.

My initial bad results must have been from the ibuprofen I had taken the week before due to the headaches.

To top it off, my A1C came down from 6.7 a month ago to 6.0 which is non-diabetic.  I'm still insulin resistant (diabetic) but I'm confident I'll lick that with continued weight loss and exercise.

Cholesterol went from 201 to 132 in 5 weeks.  Triglycerides went from 110 to 73 in 5 weeks.  My HDL and LDL still need work, but moving in the right direction.  These labs are AWESOME!

I've lost 24 pounds in the last 35 days by eating right.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 07:02:08 AM PDT by DaveB »

View Profile Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: