Don't want to type your concern or question, talk to a patient survivor on the phone! HOPEline 800-579-1970
October 30, 2014, 09:37:50 AM PDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please be sure and sign up for our patient newsletter "Live & Give" and our online e-mail RENALERT to stay informed of RSN activities. Sign up at www.RSNhope.org     

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register RSN Home The HOPEline RSNhope store  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sore back/rib cage right side. Need opinions.  (Read 43331 times)
TRB
« on: February 24, 2012, 07:11:41 AM PST »

Little history. I'm diabetic, stage 3 with a gfr of 35 and spill a fair amount of protein. I do a lot of mountain bike riding where most people hike. So I'm getting jarred around a lot when I go on these rides, 3 times a week. The past year or so I have had a dull sore muscle in my lower outside rib cage area on my right side. Soreness is toward the side & outside of the back if using the spine as a center mark. Kidney doc says its riding. PCP took X-rays and says everything looks fine, go do some physical therapy. I've done that in the past and was not worth the return on investment as I still have never had this soreness go away. Lately its been acting up a lot more with a pain at 6 or 7 on a scale of 1 to 10. If I sit still I'm fine but reach or twist and it hurts. I have stopped riding for the past week also to see if it would get better.

My questions is could this be kidney related? As I stated I been to the docs and no relief.

The X's in the image mark where the soreness is located.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:15:19 AM PST by TRB »

View Profile WWW Logged

Tim

Stage 5 (GFR 14) CKD & Diabetes - Dialysis will be soon. Sad
BJ275
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:30:02 PM PST »

My kidneys hurt in that sort of area when I get jostled, even bouncing in the car through construction, etc. I have polycystic kidneys, though, so much larger than normal. My nephrologist didn't get it when I was first seen, but the MRI helped him understand it was related. My pain is generally in that range of the pain scale. A heating pad and rest helps me most of the time, unless I was also passing a kidney stone, lol!

Do you wear a "kidney belt" when riding? 
(One of my brothers used to wear one as a kid when trying to race motorcycles. His kidneys still couldn't take it cysts broke and bled a lot, so he had to give that up.  Just a thought that popped into my head.)

Since you don't have PKD, I hope it's not your kidneys Smiley

View Profile Logged

Polycystic Kidney Disease
Blessed with a transplant May 2010
TRB
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 04:13:00 PM PST »

My kidneys hurt in that sort of area when I get jostled, even bouncing in the car through construction, etc. I have polycystic kidneys, though, so much larger than normal. My nephrologist didn't get it when I was first seen, but the MRI helped him understand it was related. My pain is generally in that range of the pain scale. A heating pad and rest helps me most of the time, unless I was also passing a kidney stone, lol!

Do you wear a "kidney belt" when riding? 
(One of my brothers used to wear one as a kid when trying to race motorcycles. His kidneys still couldn't take it cysts broke and bled a lot, so he had to give that up.  Just a thought that popped into my head.)

Since you don't have PKD, I hope it's not your kidneys Smiley

My older buddies wear a sports belt, similar to the kidney belt. Little more flexible. I think I will now join my older buddies and try this out. I have a felling it is just old sore muscles.

View Profile WWW Logged

Tim

BJ275
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 04:19:36 PM PST »

I sure hope it's just muscular - hurting when you move is a good indicator.

Maybe I need a sports belt for the car  Grin

View Profile Logged

Sldkilgore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 04:12:40 AM PST »

My disease is Fibrillary Glomerulopathy. In it, sections of my kidney "harden". As my Dr explains it, that coincides with my pain. My pain is just at the bottom of my rib cage on the right side of my back. For the most part it doesn't hurt when I move. It just comes on suddenly. Takes my breath away and causes me to cry out. I liken it to someone sucker punching me as hard as they can. I really can't find the words to express it. Vicodene doesn't help much. But, most of the time, if I get pressure on it (with a pillow behind my back) it seems to help. My Dr says that's a clear sign it's kidney pain & not a muscle or back pain. I too, however,  experience pain (if I'm going through a painful time) while riding in a car.  I hope I have helped answer some questions. Hang in there.

PS I forgot to tell you, this past winter my left kidney as been giving me pain too. Nowhere nearly as intense as my right kidney. Dr was amazed as it corrolates with my decline in kidney function. I am at the edge of stage 5, preparing for my fistula surgery.

View Profile Logged

Fibrillary Glomerulopathy

"He makes the whole body fit together perfectly.  As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love."  Ephesians 4:16 NLT
BJ275
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 06:50:52 AM PST »

Hey, TRB, has the pain gone away? Any news on that front?

Sldkilgore, thanks for explaining about your kidney hardening - no wonder your prognosis sounds so awful!
Sounds like you are teaching your doctor a few things along the way - good for you!

View Profile Logged

PrincessLeila
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 06:42:27 AM PDT »

Tim, it sounds to me like some tendonitis possibly. I have tendonitis in some of my shoulder muscles which I am receiving physio for. It doesn't sound kidney related to me. Has it settled since you last posted on this problem?

View Profile Logged
BJ275
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 07:18:05 AM PDT »

PS I forgot to tell you, this past winter my left kidney as been giving me pain too. Nowhere nearly as intense as my right kidney. Dr was amazed as it corrolates with my decline in kidney function. I am at the edge of stage 5, preparing for my fistula surgery.

Sldkilgore, how are you now?  How did the fistula surgery go? 

View Profile Logged

TRB
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 09:20:39 PM PDT »

Back pain comes and goes.

What has been bugging me lately. I seen to have no gas in the tank on my mountain bike rides. Yes I have gain a few pounds since starting the study and it's 103 out side. But something does not seem right. I hate Diabetes and kidney disease.

View Profile WWW Logged

Tim

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: