Don't want to type your concern or question, talk to a patient survivor on the phone! HOPEline 800-579-1970
October 31, 2014, 02:44:39 AM PDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
HOPEline for Peer Support
(800)579-1970
Support from someone who has been there.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register RSN Home The HOPEline RSNhope store  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do serum creatinine levels fluctuate a lot?  (Read 9523 times)
PrincessLeila
« on: November 22, 2012, 04:14:24 AM PST »

I've had a rise in creatinine levels in a recent test and am dreading the next test. A friend suggested that our blood lab results can show fluctuating creatinine levels, up one time & down the next. For the more experienced people, do you find this happens? I recall before CKD, that the Creatinine levels would fluctuate slightly within the normal range but I'm not sure what happens when you are now out of the normal range. Perhaps I need a bit of reassurance now ... For what it's worth I do feel a bit dehydrated so perhaps my blood work just done will not yield the best score?

View Profile Logged
PrincessLeila
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 11:53:42 PM PST »

Just got my lab result and my creatinine level has risen again. It's never been this high  Sad However my BUN level has fallen quite a bit, which is great. Which one is more important in gauging true kidney function I wonder? Everything else in normal, including potassium, sodium levels. The burning question is again - can creatinine levels go up markedly and then come down again OR is this the new creatinine level?

View Profile Logged
BJ275
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 08:00:02 AM PST »

Yes, although I'm not sure what your definition of "markedly" is. 

My neph was so kind to point out when I'd be excited about a drop, that yes, that happens but the overall trend is what he looked at, which was going "down". 

I know when I'm dehydrated, may not even feel it myself, my creatinine is higher. 
BUN is always measured and I know there is a relationship between them, but not exactly what, or how important it is. 

View Profile Logged

Polycystic Kidney Disease
Blessed with a transplant May 2010
TRB
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 10:42:10 AM PST »

My GFR jumps up and down all the time usually around 5 points. Sad thing is every 6 months I drop a few more points and the jumping around just changes to lower numbers. So if I was 40 & 35 a year later I will be 37 to 33 on a GFR scale. This last lab GFR was 33 but BUN was back in the normal range.

I think doc's know what the numbers mean. But really just watch for trends and signs. I don't think any can foresee what or when one will need further treatment, until it is pretty much obvious. 

View Profile WWW Logged

Tim

Stage 5 (GFR 14) CKD & Diabetes - Dialysis will be soon. Sad
BJ275
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 11:20:21 AM PST »

Good reply, TRB, that's what my doc said, too. Can't really know when I'd start dialysis, numbers only mean so much, how I was feeling, etc. would also factor in. He did at one time say by the end of the year so I had a clue. He left the practice before that happened but was delighted I'd gotten a transplant before dialysis. I've never forgotten his optimism!  It helped me so much not feel panicky and stressed. Such a great guy to listen to his patients and make you feel cared about. 
Thanks for reminding me!

View Profile Logged

Polycystic Kidney Disease
Blessed with a transplant May 2010
kayleah
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 05:18:54 PM PST »

My doc went by creatnine and not gfr.  When it would get intense they would begin to chart a graph based upon years of lab results.   I think you have to learn your body and understand your medical providers bench marks.

View Profile WWW Logged

Be blessed and not stressed.
badgenetics
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 04:06:46 PM PST »

Mine can fluctuate a bit - mostly depending on how much I have been hydrating. I am at the beginning of stage 3 - and have been encouraged to drink lots of water to help flush my kidneys out. When I was first diagnosed, my creatine levels were in the 1.6-1.7 range. After adopting a serious 'stay hydrated' lifestyle, my creatine levels have been at the 1.23-1.3 levels. 

I already eat a pretty kidney friendly diet (for my stage) so the biggest impact on creatine levels has been staying hydrated.

My nephrologist said that 24 hr urine collections give a better idea of kidney function than do blood tests because the creatine levels can fluctuate during the day due to factors such as dehydration.  I keep this in mind and use as a reminder to hydrate Smiley

View Profile Logged
PrincessLeila
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 06:07:34 AM PST »

Thanks badgenetics for your post  Wink

View Profile Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: