Don't want to type your concern or question, talk to a patient survivor on the phone! HOPEline 800-579-1970
August 21, 2014, 04:55:54 PM PDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out our great selection of glamorous jewelry from RSN's very own EmbraceHOPE Collection.Embrace Hope Jewelry Line to Benefit RSN. www.rsnhope.org

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register RSN Home The HOPEline RSNhope store  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do serum creatinine levels fluctuate a lot?  (Read 8363 times)
PrincessLeila
« on: November 22, 2012, 04:14:24 AM PST »

I've had a rise in creatinine levels in a recent test and am dreading the next test. A friend suggested that our blood lab results can show fluctuating creatinine levels, up one time & down the next. For the more experienced people, do you find this happens? I recall before CKD, that the Creatinine levels would fluctuate slightly within the normal range but I'm not sure what happens when you are now out of the normal range. Perhaps I need a bit of reassurance now ... For what it's worth I do feel a bit dehydrated so perhaps my blood work just done will not yield the best score?

View Profile Logged
PrincessLeila
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 11:53:42 PM PST »

Just got my lab result and my creatinine level has risen again. It's never been this high  Sad However my BUN level has fallen quite a bit, which is great. Which one is more important in gauging true kidney function I wonder? Everything else in normal, including potassium, sodium levels. The burning question is again - can creatinine levels go up markedly and then come down again OR is this the new creatinine level?

View Profile Logged
BJ275
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 08:00:02 AM PST »

Yes, although I'm not sure what your definition of "markedly" is. 

My neph was so kind to point out when I'd be excited about a drop, that yes, that happens but the overall trend is what he looked at, which was going "down". 

I know when I'm dehydrated, may not even feel it myself, my creatinine is higher. 
BUN is always measured and I know there is a relationship between them, but not exactly what, or how important it is. 

View Profile Logged

Polycystic Kidney Disease
Blessed with a transplant May 2010
TRB
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 10:42:10 AM PST »

My GFR jumps up and down all the time usually around 5 points. Sad thing is every 6 months I drop a few more points and the jumping around just changes to lower numbers. So if I was 40 & 35 a year later I will be 37 to 33 on a GFR scale. This last lab GFR was 33 but BUN was back in the normal range.

I think doc's know what the numbers mean. But really just watch for trends and signs. I don't think any can foresee what or when one will need further treatment, until it is pretty much obvious. 

View Profile WWW Logged

Tim

Stage 5 (GFR 14) CKD & Diabetes - Dialysis will be soon. Sad
BJ275
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 11:20:21 AM PST »

Good reply, TRB, that's what my doc said, too. Can't really know when I'd start dialysis, numbers only mean so much, how I was feeling, etc. would also factor in. He did at one time say by the end of the year so I had a clue. He left the practice before that happened but was delighted I'd gotten a transplant before dialysis. I've never forgotten his optimism!  It helped me so much not feel panicky and stressed. Such a great guy to listen to his patients and make you feel cared about. 
Thanks for reminding me!

View Profile Logged

Polycystic Kidney Disease
Blessed with a transplant May 2010
kayleah
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 05:18:54 PM PST »

My doc went by creatnine and not gfr.  When it would get intense they would begin to chart a graph based upon years of lab results.   I think you have to learn your body and understand your medical providers bench marks.

View Profile WWW Logged

Be blessed and not stressed.
badgenetics
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 04:06:46 PM PST »

Mine can fluctuate a bit - mostly depending on how much I have been hydrating. I am at the beginning of stage 3 - and have been encouraged to drink lots of water to help flush my kidneys out. When I was first diagnosed, my creatine levels were in the 1.6-1.7 range. After adopting a serious 'stay hydrated' lifestyle, my creatine levels have been at the 1.23-1.3 levels. 

I already eat a pretty kidney friendly diet (for my stage) so the biggest impact on creatine levels has been staying hydrated.

My nephrologist said that 24 hr urine collections give a better idea of kidney function than do blood tests because the creatine levels can fluctuate during the day due to factors such as dehydration.  I keep this in mind and use as a reminder to hydrate Smiley

View Profile Logged
PrincessLeila
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 06:07:34 AM PST »

Thanks badgenetics for your post  Wink

View Profile Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: